Inglese - InghilterraItaliano - Italia

The Province of Fermo and Municipality of Fermo

  • PDF

PROVINCE


The Province of Fermo is a small reality made up of 40 municipalities (33 of which have a population of under 5000 inhabitants) concentrated within a surface of less than 900 sq.km. and of about 175.000 inhabitants overall. The territory is characterized by three valley axis with three main waterways going across it: the Aso, the Ete and the Tenna.


A restrained territory, but with a clear sense of belonging and a strong identity due to a social–economic web made up predominantly by artisan vocation, wherein the districts of these small companies are highly representative, amongst which the Footwear one (the largest in Europe) and that of Hats really leave their mark. From the reality of a metayer agricultural system to the family run artisan workshop, starting in the sixties, a widespread system of small and medium sized manufacturing companies, characterized by a high level of specialization and by an extremely high quality production, has developed here, renowned and appreciated all over the world. Nowadays there are over 20.000 companies active in the territory, of which about 8.000 in the manufacturing field, a considerable number when compared to the dimension and the relatively small population of the territory, for a ratio of nearly 1 company for every 10 inhabitants.

The other great excellence of the Fermano is the agricultural production which is concentrated mainly in the Valdaso and in the mountainous areas, which is also capable of distinguishing itself for the quality and variety of the autochthonous species cultivated and for the products highly appreciated by the tourists, also increasing in number in our territory. The fruit, the wine and the truffles are excellencies that better represent the Fermano at the table and which constitute an important business card for the visitors. Furthermore, the Fermano can pride itself, together with other territories in the Marche, with a very high rate of long-life expectancy which confirms the level of quality of life amongst the highest in our nation, as duly reported in the recent study of Sole24Ore on BIL, the “Benessere Interno Lordo” (= the “Gross Internal Wellbeing”) which, in the valuation of the wealth of a territory, takes into consideration, besides the economic indexes, also those tied to the development of the social and cultural networks.

The Provincial Bureau
The Provincia of Fermo is a reality which is finding its first steps: it now has a statute, it has activated various essential services for the community and has already met up with all the Municipalities of the territory to listen to them and hear from the local administrators what the most important problems are and to find the solutions to be activated together in view of the approval of the first autonomous budget relevant to the year 2010.

Among the main objectives of the Provincial Administration of Fermo, besides guaranteeing the full efficiency for all that is pertaining the competent matters laid out in art. 19 of the TUEL, there is that of becoming an important reference point for the territory coordinating the activity of territorial programming together with the Local Entities and the economical operators, by carrying out a role of simplifying the access to resources and bringing incentives to the synergies between private and public entities.
At the top of the list of the political agenda of the President Cesetti and his Council there are the environmental issues, first among all the energy, with regards to which the Province immediately made clear its position, declaring to be favorable to the research and experimentation of alternative energy sources but against the exploitation of the biomasses which damage the traditional agricultural activities putting at risk the delicate environmental and countryside balance.

Another priority is the labor, above all of the work force and of the small entrepreneurs, in difficulty in this time of crisis and suffering due to an economical system that does not help (and does not reward) the small companies, that represent the true lymph of development for the Italian system. Tied by a double knot to the occupational policies are those for the professional training which need to be supported in order to renovate and give new competencies to sectors which require a productive conversion and at the same time must manage to satisfy the needs of the specialist know-how of the companies. Not by chance amongst the first actions foreseen by the lines followed by Cesetti is in fact the activation of the Consulte Provinciali, (= Provincial Consultancies) that of labor and of training in primis, so as to bring the world of local economy to discuss with the administrators and set up policies which take into consideration the territorial vocations and the harmonious development to everybody’s advantage.

Another strategic topic is the valorization of the local excellencies, from food & wine to the manufactured products, to be conveyed into the circuits of national and international promotion in order to improve the tourist attraction and supply prospects for the creation of new enterprise.
The agriculture carried out with natural methods and the biological products are to be considered as one of the most important opportunities of development to which to move towards, also to support the agricultural sector in a present day crisis, in particular by creating incentives for the activities of the re-discovery circuits of the cultivations of traditional know-how, already present and active in the territory. From the re-discovery of the earth’s resources and from the valorization of the countryside as a cultural and identity factor, as the opportunities to renew the tourism sector, through creating itineraries capable of involving the visitor in a complete experience from a sensorial and intellectual point of view.

Then there is the school, a fundamental institution to allow a society to develop completely, for which the Province has already arranged the Sizing Plan locating the needs of spaces and extension works with regards to the provincial school buildings and by supporting the small municipalities in locating strategic areas for the founding of school centers, necessary to oppose the depopulation due to the cuts in class combinations.
PROVINCIA di FERMO

MUNICIPALITY OF FERMO

Useful Numbers: +39 0734 2841
Website: www.comune.fermo.it - www.fermoturismo.it
Information Offices: Piazza Dante, 21
Tel/Fax:  +39 0734/223376
Mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it - This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Lungomare Fermano (only in summer): Tel +39 0734 642428

Historical Notes:
The ancient town of Fermo, once a Roman colony, rises up on the top of Monte Sàbulo dominated by the imposing massive structure of the Cathedral: from the amazing surrounding piazza you can enjoy a spectacular panorama. Fermo has always been the most important center of the district for its abundant history, for the presence of historical-artistic evidence, for the industrial activities and for the tourist and cultural initiatives. The territory is the result of a great synthesis of sea and hills: it goes from the ample beaches of Lido di Fermo, Casabianca and Marina Palmense, to the suggestive center of Torre di Palme perched in the rocks of a spur perpendicular to the sea below; Capodarco also springs up in a panoramic position over the Adriatic. On this ample territory, from on top of its hill, the silhouette of Fermo stands out, withholding within its town a lot of very valuable proof of its great history: In the year 264 BC it became a Roman colony under the name of Firmum Picenum and gained the right to mint coins. In 408 it was taken over by Alarico, then passed down to the Lombards and was united to the Duchy of Spoleto, then with the Franchi it went to the Church. Towards the end of the X century it became the center of that ‘Marca’ Femana which was only extinguished in the XIII century, when it passed on to become part of the ‘Marca’ of Ancona. In 1199 it became a free Municipality and a feud of the Estensi in 1214. In 1433 it endured the signorìa of Francesco Sforza against whom it rebelled, remaining however, for all of the XVI century, under the tyranny of various lords. From the beginning of the XVII century it is indissolubly tied to the Church; in 1808 it was part of the first Reign of Italy as chief town of the Tronto Department; on September 21st 1860 it took in the piedmont’s troupes and in 1861 it decla-red being annexed to Italy. The Province of Fermo, cancelled out straight after the Unity of Italy, was once again newly instituted with the ruling approved by the Senate on May 19th 2004, at the end of a long political and legislative procedure.

Monuments and Churches:
- Piazza del Popolo, started in 1442 in the heart of the town, it certainly represents one of the most reminiscent areas of Fermo, precise and linear in the structures, it offers a spectacle of rare beauty and architectonic rigor into which other structures amongst the more significant ones of the town, insert themselves perfectly.
- Loggiato di San Rocco (Gallery of St. Rocco), erected in 1528, it is in front of the Church of San Rocco, which goes back to 1505.
- Palazzo dei Priori, built in 1296 and later readapted, on one of the facades it has a bronze like Statue of Sisto V, done by Accursio Baldi in 1590, home to the Civic Art Gallery and of the Picena Archeological Section.
- Theatre dell’Aquila, one of the major theatres of Italy, carried out on Cosimo Morelli’s project, it was inaugurated in 1790. It is structured on 5 tiers of boxes and a pit for a total capacity of about 1.000 places. To be seen is Luigi Cochetti’s ceiling painting which depicts the “Numi dell’Olimpo con le Grazie e le Ore” and in the center, the 56 arm chandelier in golden iron.
- Piazzale del Girfalco, is the “belvedere” of the town, where the Cathedral rises up together with the ample piazza now turned into a garden area.
- The Cathedral, with its splendid romanesque-gothic facade, internally preserves the excavations and the suggestive mosaics of a pre-existing pagan temple, a IV century paleo-Christian sarcophagus and an “Icona di Maria Vergine”, an XI century Greek-Byzantine work of art; amongst the various burial monuments we find the one of Giovanni Visconti da Oleggio.
- Palazzo Azzolino e Palazzo Vitali Rosati, both were from Sangallo il Giovane’s projects during the first half of the XVI century.
- Church of Sant’Agostino, of roman-gothic origin going back to the middle of the XIII century, it incorporates the Oratory of S. Monica, with XIV century frescoes, the gothic “reliquary of St. Spina” of 1374 and a fresco by V. Pagani.
- Church of San Francesco, XV century Gothic style, in the chapel the “Burial Monument of Euffreducci” by Andrea Sansovino of 1527 and also interesting XV century frescoes are preserved.
- Roman Purifying Cisterns Epuratorie, (filter beds), a fantastic architectonical complex composed of 30 interconnecting rooms and set out on three parallel lines, it is a unique monument of its kind in Italy, perfectly preserved and which goes back to the 1st century AD.
- Church of San Zenone, built in the XII century it preserves a portal made by assembling different architectonical recovered elements from the Roman Age.
- Church of Sant’Agostino, (Torre di Palme), preserves a “Madonna with Infant and Saints”, polyptech by V. Crivelli of the end of the XV century and a work of Art by V. Pagani
- Church of S. Maria a Mare, (Torre di Palme), dates back to the XII century and preserves traces of XIV century frescoes and a “Madonna and Saints” at one time attributed to Pagani.
- Church of S. Maria, (Capodarco), has in its custody a “Madonna with Infant” of V. Crivelli.

Museums / Art Galleries:
The Municipal Library, is housed at the Palazzo degli Studi (1511) joined to the Palazzo dei Priori by a small arcade, it is the richest one in the Marche and is amongst the first 10 in Italy: it preserves 128 codes, more than 400.000 volumes and 18.000 “cinquecentine”. The ancient room of the world globe, completely paneled in walnut, preserves the original nucleus of the Library. The room, with the splendid wooden ceiling enriched with ornamental baroque motifs, is so named because of the presence of a large globe, work of the venetian map-maker Silvestro Amanzio Moroncelli dated 1713.
The Art Gallery, preserves works of Art that go from the Middle Ages up to the XIX century, some of which are of extraordinary importance like the Polyptech by Andrea da Bologna (1369), the precious panels with stories of Santa Lucia di Jacobello del Fiore (1410), The “Adorazione dei pastori” of the Flemish Master Pietro Paolo Rubens (1608), “La Pentecoste” by Giovanni Lanfranco (XVII century), besides other extremely important ones like the “Madonna col Bambino” di Francescuccio di Cecco Ghissi (second half of the XIV century) and two works of art by Vincenzo Pagani (XVI century).
The Picena Archeological Section,exhibits remains from pre-roman Fermo, amonst which belts, urns and necklaces of the Picenum Age.
Villa Vitali, home to the scientific Museums: precious nature collections of embalmed birds are visible at the “T. Salvadori”; the Museo Polare “S. Zavatti”, unique in its gendre, holds the documentation of various expeditions and objects of the polar civilization; the “Fermo” meteorite Museum, third in the world in order of weight, which fell in the Fermane countryside in 1996. Inside Villa Vitali we also find the "Nicola Rizzi" Pipe Museum where pipes and pertinent objects are on show, fruit of donations of Italian and foreign collectors.
The Diocesan Museum, exhibits sacred canonical robes and silver pieces; remarkable the pastoral of Saint Sisto V and a miniatured mass-book of the XV century.

Address Polo Museale: Piazza del Popolo 1
Telephone +39 0734/217140  Fax  +39 0734/215231
Website www.sistemamuseo.it; www.fermocultura.it
Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Opening hours: From September 18th to June 15th
From Tuesday to Saturday 10.00-13.00 / 15.30-18.00
Sundays and holidays 10.00-13.00 / 15.30-19.00
Closed Mondays (unless a holiday), Christmas and New Year
From June 16th to September 17th
From Monday to Sunday 10.00-13.00 / 16.00-20.00
On Thursdays in July and August and from August 6th to 16th also evening opening 21.00-23.00

Other attractions worth visiting:
The unquestionable protagonist, in Fermo and in its surrounding area, is the sea. The town offers to its visitors and tourists splendid parts of coast, precious stretches of golden sand on the one side and ample parts of white, smooth pebbles on the other: the Lido of Fermo, the Lido of San Tommaso and Casabianca are natural layers of the Fermano hill, which together with Marina Palmense, stretching under the great panoramic terraces of Torre di Palme, offer sun, beaches, sailing and windsurf, besides the many spaces and green areas where to spend ones free time in contact with the nature to either be in complete relaxation or practice sport activities. Not far away, but more often in the hinterland areas, the seaside tourist offerings are enhanced with plenty of others like many trekking itineraries, riding schools and horse riding, on offer for all those who love open air sports and activities. Not to mention go-kart, motor-cross, horse racing, model racing. The best tourist villages spring up along the Fermana coast, spacious and luxuriant vegetation, harmoniously set in the context of an exuberant and many-colored nature. The many varieties of hotels, from the smallest family run ones, to the better equipped and highly developed ones, make up a complete tourist package where each guest can enjoy the romantic dawns on the sea, the flowing rhythm of the waves, the enjoyable beach life or the long and relaxing walks on the shore. The sea promenade is furthermore studded with welcoming beach establishments, where both relaxing family days among the sunshades and also fun evenings with friends can be spent. The wavy hills just back from the sea make the Fermano landscape unique and characteristic, where every tiny spot of land is lovingly cultivated making it look like a great garden patchwork of many colors to the eyes of the onlooker. Many are the town’s green areas, in particular the Piazzale del Girfalco, Fermo’s green heart where the architectonical and natural reality melt into one another; The Park of the Mentuccia is a green area set out just a few steps away from the historical centre; Villa Vitali with its historical garden creates a tranquil oasis onto which great trees overlook; the (wood) Bosco del Cugnolo, is a valuable protected area, situated in the Torre di Palme locality, home also to the Terme (Thermal waters) which are ideal for the treatment of digestive and hepatic problems and for the treatment of uricaemic illnesses and of the urinary apparatus. Places which stand out for their vast botanical variety which exist therein, in addition to their extraordinary beauty.
  MARCA FERMANA

« BACK
 
 
You are here: